any opinions expressed in the video are mine! feel free to share yours in the comments below! what’s most important is that we have an informed and thoughtful conversation about these subjects.
video edited by Danae O.
animations by Danae O.
thumbnail artwork by Jameson: instagram.com/jaliousart
all music by elliot sang except for:
Jeopardy Theme – «Think!» by Merv Griffin – «Jeopardy» by Television’s Greatest Hits Band
«Investigations» by Kevin MacLeod
much thanks to modooborahae, fatima farha, blaqbfly, cristina lai and danae o. (the GOAT) for helping me research and put this thing together!
correction: this is the seo taiji video used! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXX_y-ZP-G4
1. The staggering value of K-pop band BTS
https://www.axios.com/bts-kpop-band-south-korea-gdp-3099f1dc-ce5c-4580-bf76-09df2d236f54.html – BTS’ contribution to the South Korean GDP
2. K-Pop is Not a Genre by T.K. Park
http://askakorean.blogspot.com/2017/05/k-pop-is-not-genre.html – TK Park’s opinion piece
3. Is K-Pop a Genre? Yes. Yes It Is by Lizzie Parker
http://beyondhallyu.com/k-pop/is-k-pop-a-genre-yes-it-is/ – Lizzie Parker’s response
4. What is the K in K-Pop? By John Lie
https://www.academia.edu/2176672/What_Is_the_K_in_K-pop – this was heavily used during the history of Korean music portion.
5. How BTS Succeeded Where Other Boy Bands Couldn’t, by T.K. Park and Youngdae Kim
https://www.vulture.com/2018/10/how-bts-succeeded-where-other-boy-bands-couldnt.html – cited and used in the third section
6. WHAT IS MUSICAL GENRE EXACTLY? By Jack Denton
https://psmag.com/social-justice/what-is-musical-genre-exactly – used in the first section. Deep dive into genre categorization.
7. BTS Pre-debut History 2010-2013 (Part 1) by Baepsayed https://www.reddit.com/r/bangtan/comments/bi521g/bts_predebut_history_20102013_part_1/ – goes over the history of BTS’ formation before debut, used largely in section 2
8. Here’s What RM Was Doing As “Runch Randa” Before He Joined BTS
https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/bts-rm-predebut-history-runch-randa – goes over RM pre-debut, also used in section 2
9. Korean Pop Culture’s New Catchphrase (‘Gangnam Style’ and ‘The Thieves’ show Koreans aren’t so serious after all Fun)
https://archive.today/20121209024632/http://english.seoul.go.kr/gtk/news/reports_view.php?idx=18883 – article about PSY used in section 1
10. Past, Present and Future of Hallyu (Korean Wave) http://www.aijcrnet.com/journals/Vol_5_No_5_October_2015/19.pdf – used in section 1
follow us on instagram! http://instagram.com/paperplanebbygang
follow us on soundcloud! http://soundcloud.com/bbygang
we love you!!