The 69 year delay in banning lead in paint in the U.S. has been attributed to the proud marketing and lobbying efforts of the industry profiting from the poison.
Subscribe to NutritionFacts.org’s free newsletter at https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and receive recipes developed by the NF staff that will fuel your fitness goals.
As soon as I learned about the unfolding crisis in Flint, Michigan I knew I had to take a deep dive into the medical literature to see if there anything these kids might do able to do diet-wise to reduce their body burden.
Most of the time I cover a subject on NutritionFacts.org I’ve addressed it previously, and so I just have to research the new studies published in the interim. But I had never really looked deeply into lead poisoning before, and so was faced with more than a century of science to dig through. Yes I did discover there were foods that could help, but I also learned about cautionary tales like this one about our shameful history with leaded paint. By learning this lesson, hopefully we can put more critical thought into preventing future disasters that can arise when our society allows profits to be placed over people.
This is the first of an 11-part series on lead. Stay tuned for:
• Lead in Drinking Water (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/lead-in-drinking-water)
• How the Leaded Gas Industry Got Away With It (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/•How-the-Leaded-Gas-Industry-Got-Away-With-It)
• “Normal” Blood Lead Levels Can Be Toxic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Normal-Blood-Lead-Levels-Can-Be-Toxic)
• The Effects of Low-Level Lead Exposure in Adults (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/The-Effects-of-Low-Level-Lead-Exposure-in-Adults)
• How to Lower Lead Levels with Diet: Thiamine, Fiber, Iron, Fat, Fasting? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/How-to-Lower-Lead-Levels-with-Diet-Thiamine-Fiber-Iron-Fat-Fasting)
• How to Lower Lead Levels with Diet: Breakfast, Whole Grains, Milk, Tofu? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/How-to-Lower-Lead-Levels-with-Diet-Breakfast-Whole-Grains-Milk-Tofu)
• Best Foods for Lead Poisoning: Chlorella, Cilantro, Tomatoes, Moringa? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Best-Foods-for-Lead-Poisoning-Chlorella-Cilantro-Tomatoes-Moringa)
• Best Food for Lead Poisoning – Garlic (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Best-Food-for-Lead-Poisoning-Garlic)
• Can Vitamin C Help with Lead Poisoning? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Can-Vitamin-C-Help-with-Lead-Poisoning)
• Yellow Bell Peppers for Male Infertility and Lead Poisoning? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Yellow-Bell-Peppers-for-Male-Infertility-and-Lead-Poisoning)
If you enjoyed this video you’ll probably also like:
• Who Determines if Food Additives are Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-determines-if-food-additives-are-safe/)
• Collaboration with the New Vectors of Disease (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/collaboration-with-the-new-vectors-of-disease/)
• Sprinkling Doubt: Taking Sodium Skeptics with a Pinch of Salt (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/sprinkling-doubt:-taking-sodium-skeptics-with-a-pinch-of-salt)
• Big Food Using the Tobacco Industry Playbook (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/big-food-using-tthe-tobacco-industry-playbook)
• The Healthy Food Movement: Strength in Unity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-healthy-food-movement-strength-in-unity)
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-the-lead-paint-industry-got-away-with-it and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-the-lead-paint-industry-got-away-with-it. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Image credit: Jason Rogers via Flickr. Image has been modified.
• Subscribe: https://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: https://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• How Not to Die: https://nutritionfacts.org/book
• NEW BOOK – How Not to Diet: https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/
• Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: https://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast: https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/